Requirements for studying
Basically, you need a university entrance qualification so that you can enroll for a degree. You can prove this with your certificate of university entrance qualification.
Which type of university you can study at depends on the type of university you graduated from.
With the general university entrance qualification, you are entitled to study all courses at all types of universities.
With a subject-specific higher education entrance qualification, you can study the subjects of the specialty noted in the certificate (e.g. social affairs, technology, business) at all types of universities.
With the Fachhochschulreife, you can be accepted into all courses at a university of applied sciences. In Bavaria there is also a subject-specific university entrance qualification, which enables the study of certain subjects at the aforementioned type of university.

However, there are university entrance qualifications that only apply in certain federal states. The validity is usually noted on the diploma.

In Brandenburg and Hesse, for example, prospective students with a university entrance qualification can also study bachelor’s degrees at universities. In Lower Saxony, the entrance qualification for a university of applied sciences also entitles you to study in the relevant subject at a university or equivalent university. And in Baden-Württemberg there is the so-called “Delta test”. It enables prospective students with a university entrance qualification to study at a university. High school graduates with subject-specific university entrance qualifications can also be admitted in a subject that is not noted on the degree certificate.
For a teaching degree in artistic subjects (art and music) is usually general higher education entrance qualification is required, but in some countries, subject-specific higher education entrance qualification is sufficient.
The admissions offices of the universities provide further information.

From the university of applied sciences to the university
The bachelor’s degree of a university of applied sciences is basically equivalent to the bachelor’s degree of a university with regard to admission to a further study.
Bachelor graduates from universities of applied sciences can therefore also generally take a master’s course at a university. A subsequent doctorate at a university is also possible.
A change in the course of your studies from the university of applied sciences to an identical or closely related university course is regulated differently in the federal states, in some cases (e.g. in Bavaria) it is possible after two semesters with 60 ECTS credit points.
Catch up university entrance qualification
You can also catch up on a school-leaving certificate in order to receive a university entrance qualification. Colloquially, there is talk of the “second path of education”.

Crediting of training and further education achievements during studies
Graduates of vocational training courses who are aiming to study at university can find out in advance of their decision about the options for crediting completed training or further education achievements. If these are taken into account, corresponding achievements do not have to be performed again in the course. Which services can be recognized usually decide. the responsible offices of the universities.
The Department of Business and Health at the Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences has also developed the central information platform DAbeKom ( to improve the transparency of the offer and to shorten the procurement of information. It is funded by the
Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Ministry of School and Education of the
State of North Rhine-Westphalia and provides a comprehensive overview of the German
Universities from all over Germany are eligible for professional skills
Training, further education and advanced training (see also “Continuing Education Programs”).

Knowledge of foreign languages
For some subjects, the examination regulations prescribe mandatory foreign language skills, which must either be available at the beginning of the course or have to be made up during the course.
Knowledge of Latin: Especially in humanities like German studies, philosophy or history as well as in teacher training courses, knowledge of Latin is sometimes a requirement. This is often only the case for the master’s degree, for example in the graduate teacher training courses.
As a rule, for the study of theology the Graecum and the Hebraicum prescribed. Most students only learn the languages ​​in the course of the first semester.
Newer philologies: Universities can make admission to a subject such as English or Romance studies dependent on the result of a language test. The often computer-based test must be taken at the university, but can usually be replaced by recognized language certificates such as the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the DELF (Diplôme d’Etudes en Langue Française). In addition, placement tests at the beginning of the semester can be compulsory and provide a basis for student guidance and serve for the performance-based selection of courses.

The requirements for the preparatory college (Studienkollag)

To apply to a preparatory college, you have to meet some requirements. The most important are:
1. A secondary school leaving certificate from your home country – a certificate that entitles you to study in your home country. You must submit your original certificates and the originals of the certified German translation.
The secondary school certificate is not sufficient in all countries of origin. If you come from certain countries, you need proof of the passed university entrance exam and / or a successful one or two year course of study in your home country.
2. A student or student visa. It is not possible to convert a tourist or other visa into a student visa after entering Germany. If you enter with the wrong visa, you must definitely go back to your home country and apply for a student visa!
3. Knowledge of German. Most preparatory colleges require German language skills of around 400 – 600 lessons. This corresponds approximately to levels A2 and B1 of the European reference framework.